Today, holistic education is more than just an idea. It is gaining steam in education, on a global scale. The concept of holistic education is based on the philosophy of educating the whole person, beyond the core academics.
Institutions are realizing that along with core academics, students, from KG classes, need to be armed with skills that will make them more empathetic to the world. These skills include social skills, analytical skills, being a team player, being a good listener, and so on.
Here is where holistic education steps in.
As a child embark on their learning journey, the school assumes a pivotal role in crafting and fostering an environment that nurtures natural participation, growth, and learning.
Early childhood is a crucial time to instill habits through positive reinforcement. Using 360-degree education, teachers address the emotional, social, ethical, and academic needs of students in an integrated learning format.
As a child’s educational journey commences in school, the institution plays a pivotal role in shaping and fostering a learning atmosphere that encourages active participation, natural growth, and meaningful education.
Benefits of holistic education
- Elevated Academic Performance: By tailoring teaching methods to individual learning styles and fostering a supportive learning environment, children experience enhanced brain capacities when they feel both physically and emotionally secure and connected to others, as highlighted by the Learning Policy Institute.
- Improved Mental and Emotional Well-Being: Creating an environment that values social and emotional learning alongside academic pursuits increases the likelihood of students developing self-awareness, confidence, and a sense of social responsibility.
- Heightened Problem-Solving Skills: Engaging in hands-on projects equips students with skills applicable to their future careers, including how to collect, analyse, and communicate data, as well as how to collaborate effectively with others.
- Mitigated Impact of Inequities: The whole-child approach to education, emphasizing integrated learning concepts, has been proven to alleviate the psychological effects of challenges such as violence, abuse, or poverty on academic achievement.
What goes into holistic education?
By incorporating the following teaching methods, educators can create an environment that nurtures not only the intellectual growth of students but also their emotional, social, and physical well-being, shaping them into well-rounded individuals ready to face the challenges of the future.
- Integrated Curriculum: Holistic teaching often involves an integrated curriculum that connects various subjects and disciplines. This approach helps students see the interconnectedness of knowledge and understand the real-world applications of what they learn.
- Experiential Learning: Learning by doing is a fundamental aspect of holistic education. Experiential learning engages students in hands-on activities, projects, and real-world experiences. This not only reinforces theoretical concepts but also enhances problem-solving skills and critical thinking.
- Artistic and Creative Expression: Integrating arts and creative activities into the curriculum is a key component of holistic teaching. This includes visual arts, music, drama, and other forms of creative expression, fostering imagination and self-expression.
- Emphasis on Social and Emotional Learning: Holistic teaching recognizes the importance of social and emotional development. SEL programs focus on building students’ interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and resilience, creating a positive and supportive learning environment.
- Mindfulness and Well-being Practices: Holistic education emphasizes the well-being of students. Integrating mindfulness practices, relaxation techniques, and opportunities for physical activity contributes to a positive and healthy learning environment.
- Assessment Beyond Grades: Evaluation in holistic education goes beyond traditional grades. Assessment methods may include portfolios, projects, presentations, and reflective journals, providing a more comprehensive view of students’ abilities and progress.
- Life Skills Development: Holistic education aims to equip students with practical life skills. This includes communication skills, decision-making, time management, and problem-solving abilities, preparing them for success in various aspects of life.
QMIS- The Hub of Holistic Education in Tamil Nadu
At Queen Mira International School, we take pride in our holistic 360-degree teaching approach that transcends traditional classroom boundaries. The curriculum is designed to encompass a wide array of subjects, including arts, sports, and extracurricular activities, ensuring a holistic learning experience for our students. This diversity not only broadens their knowledge base but also nurtures their creativity and passion.
As the first CBSE school in the world to get CIS accreditation for giving excellent education, QMIS’ mix of subjects not only teaches academic stuff globally but also helps students become responsible and important people in society.
One of the best schools in Madurai, QMIS places a strong emphasis on experiential learning, providing students with opportunities to apply theoretical knowledge in real-world scenarios. This hands-on approach enhances their problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and adaptability – qualities that are indispensable in today’s rapidly changing world.
QMIS provides a comprehensive education that goes beyond academics, shaping students into responsible, independent, and morally conscious members of society. Our commitment to holistic learning ensures that the students are not just academically proficient but also equipped with the skills and values needed to navigate the complexities of the future with confidence and integrity.
If you want to provide your child with an education that goes beyond textbooks and moulds them into well-rounded individuals, QMIS is the ideal choice. Join the happy schooling movement and let QMIS guide your child toward a bright and promising future. Visit Queen Mira International School to know more!